Supporter Services Associate
About Amnesty International
Amnesty International is a worldwide movement of 7 million ordinary people in more than 150 countries who come together to achieve extraordinary results in defending and promoting human rights. We get discriminatory laws changed and prisoners of conscience released. We’ve helped stop torture, commute death sentences and worked to end violence against women. We stand alongside Indigenous Peoples demanding that their rights be respected.
Amnesty International Canada is committed to employment equity, actively seeks diversity in the workplace, and welcomes and encourages applications from members of equity-seeking groups including women, transgender, non-binary, and LGBTI individuals; First Nations, Metis, and Inuit individuals, persons with disabilities, and members of racialized and marginalized groups.
About This Position
The post has a primary focus, in conjunction with other members of the Supporter Services Team, on managing and developing ongoing relationships with donors/ supporters/members through e-mail, phone and mail. The Supporter Services Associate (SSA) works closely with the other SSAs in dealing with e-mails, phone calls, and mail from supporters and helping to achieve the team’s annual operational goals and supports individual supporters as they engage in activism. The Supporter Services Associate is part of the Supporter Services team and the larger Fundraising team.
Throughout their work, all Amnesty International Canada employees must demonstrate commitment to gender equity, integrate the perspectives of youth, and address the broader goals of diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-oppression.
- Donor Response - The SSA is responsible for answering emails, phone calls and mail from 8:30 to 4:30 Monday to Friday, with a primary responsibility for emails with support from other Supporter Services staff. The Associate updates database records in responding to donor requests. In addition, the Associate is responsible for sending out information packages requested by Amnesty members and supporters and liaising with program colleagues as required. The Supporter Services Team is also responsible for liaising with Fineline Solutions on their handling of in-bound 1-800-Amnesty calls.
- Support to Individual Activism - The SSA provides support to individual Amnesty members and supporters who are interested in becoming further involved in the activism work of Amnesty. This may include the development of special information packages, responding to enquiries, collaboration with colleagues in the Campaigns and Activism department.
- Promotional Activities - The SSA will contribute to the development of promotional materials and implementation of plans and activities for Community Fundraising and other Fundraising promotional activities as needed, at the request of the Manager.
- Supervision of Volunteers - With SSA colleagues, the Associate is responsible for working with the National Office Volunteer Coordinator to find volunteers needed in the Supporter
- Services program. Once they are found, it is the role of the SSAs to train them. The SSA will supervise those volunteers who work directly with the SSA
- iMIS Training – the SSA assists with iMIS training for staff.
- Ensure that diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-oppression principles and practices are regularly considered and integrated into strategies and materials.
- Ensure that DEI and anti-oppression principles are reflected in day-to-day interactions with colleagues, rightsholders, members, donors, and supporters.
- Other duties as assigned by the Manager or within the Supporter Services Team.
Full details are available in this job description.
- Minimum of high school diploma.
- Minimum of two years’ experience handling telephone calls/enquiries, preferably from donors/
- Experience with Amnesty and its fundraising programs is a definite asset for this position. Without Amnesty experience, the SSA must be a quick learner in order to assimilate Amnesty’s information and organization to be able to effectively respond to callers, as well as remain current on all program activities.
- Excellent written communication skills necessary for preparation of form and individual e-mails and letters, as well as other information materials. Very high competency in verbal communication, especially on the telephone.
- Effective listener, and exercises considerable tact in responding to email callers and correspondents, particularly when handling complaints and communicating with monthly donors.
- Proficiency in database entry.
- Ability to conduct contact information research by Internet and other means.
- Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) MS Word, iMIS and other databases as needed (Engaging Networks, Informz), Excel, photocopier and other standard office equipment.
- Attention to detail.
- Effective collaborator with colleagues, proficient in listening to the needs of others and making the SSA’s needs known as they relate to the program.
- Able to contribute to the diversity of Amnesty’s workforce and its inclusive and anti-oppression practices.
- On occasion, flexibility is required for urgent needs to get updated financial information from donors, which would result in an outbound donor-calling campaigns which may require evening work.
Hours: Full-time (37.5 hours/week)
Start date: By late-March 2020
Duration: Permanent (pending 6-month probation)
Starting salary: $55,246 - $57,217 per annum (commensurate with qualifications)
Deadline: Applications accepted until noon (eastern time), February 26, 2020
Please submit your résumé and a covering letter outlining: 1) why you are interested in joining Amnesty International Canada; 2) your qualifications for the position; and, 3) how you would contribute to the diversity of our workforce and the diversity of perspectives to further our human rights work, and three references including two from supervisors. Applications must be submitted electronically via Charity Village.
Although we appreciate the interest of all candidates, only candidates invited for interviews will be contacted. These candidates may be asked to provide samples of their work.
This position is unionized under Unifor Local 567.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities upon request.