In the dark of night, as December 2 rolled over into December 3, 1984 and nearby residents slept, toxic gas began leaking from a pesticide factory in Bhopal. Within three days, as many as 10,000 people had died in the central Indian town.
Since then another 12,000 have died. Thousands of survivors and their descendants have suffered – and still suffer -- long-term health problems from the effects of gas exposure. Respiratory illnesses, damage to internal organs, and problems with the immune system are common.